I recently unearthed these clips of Cup that I had taken when compiling the montage. It was July of 2006 and she had just turned two.
Mind you, I'm somewhat annoying in these clips. I was using that relentlessly sugary and and over-the-top tone you have to use to get a 2-year-old to do anything. Cover your ears if your sensitive to high-pitched, grating noises. Or to boring videos of other people's kids.
Cup and the preggo test
Cup hugs the bay-bee
Cup practicing with the future Bean
It's amazing to see her so small and hear the lilting, birdlike baby voice I was using. (a bit of a Southern bird...again, sorry.) It made me realize how much our mother-daughter language has changed.
Cup has been speaking in complex sentences for a long time now, usually about what Hannah Montana must be doing at this very moment. So, It's startling to hear us communicating like this...me throwing my voice high and low like a frisbee, and she alternating ignoring me and grunting rebelliously.
Well, maybe not everything changes.
In any case...these days, our exchanges go more like this...
The Revealing
(I accidentally drop something on the floor with Cup standing nearby watching.)
"Dammit," she says supportively.
"Cup, what did you just say?"
"Dammit, mommy."
"Oh, sh*t. Where's your father?"
The Little Philosopher
(As we're driving in the car)
"Mommy, did you see that doggie?"
"What doggie, honey?"
"The doggie on the ground."
"What doggie on the ground, honey?"
"The doggie on the ground, laying at the road."
"Oh. Hm. Yeah?"
"What's he doing?"
"Uh, he's sleeping, honey. Real sleepy. Just taking a nap."
The Long-Winded
"Hey, Cup...what's going on with your dress?"
*long pause.* "I don't...another long pause...know."
"Well, it's all bunched up in your panties."
"Oh YES!I went to the potty ALL BY MYSELF isn't that wonderful Mommy I had to go so I ran to the potty and got on the stool and did it and I washed my hands and I used the soap and dried with the towel cause that's what we do we wash our hands every time we go to the potty and I'll do that at preschool too mommy cause that's what my teacher says to wash your hands every single time and we always go to the potty not in our pants and I GET JELLYBEANS NOW!"
Our current language consists mostly of question (her) and answer (me) sessions. Like a 24-7 preschooler talk show featuring rainbows and pocket-sized frogs, mommy's make-up and her ticklish brushes, why Bean doesn't talk yet, how far the ocean is and why she can never swim alone.
It won't always be like this, I know. She'll wise up and see that she's smarter than me and her father put together (something we already know) and quit consulting us for cerebral enlightenment. Pretty soon, she won't be buying what I'm selling.
But, I'm pretty sure the "because I said so" thing is good for a lifetime. So, there's always that.
**If you're interested, the short version of the montage dvd I made for handsome hubby is below.




3 comments:
this is fabulous, and somehow - cheering. because at the age O's at i find myself singsonging my way through the days in a constant stream of labelling items and saying "no, we don't eat (insert word here, be it rocks, cats, spatulas...)".
loved watching Cup. love the idea of breaking the news that way. :)
What a great way to let him know! I didn't have that with either one. With The Girl, That Guy came home and told me he had orders to go to the desert and I said "well, you can't go because I'm pregnant." Not quite as sweet- and not good enough for the Air Force to keep him home either.
Thanks for posting to the March Mommies Blogroll. I dig your blog. You're as funny as Katie Claire's Mommy but with a better vocabulary. (Oops did I say that outloud?)
Post a Comment