Monday, September 10, 2007

The Tortured (Scam) Artist


Well, I'm tired this week, so I'm not running on all cylinders. Most of the reason for my weary state is our resident Tortured Soul, Cup.

Cup is a manipulator. She innocently (although that's debatable)thinks that she always has the answer. So, that means standing in the middle of a swim academy facility, baiting her to please turn right because, yes, mommy actually knows where we're going. It means, after putting on her shoes for her, turning around and seeing that she has switched them to the wrong feet, because after all, she knows better.

But when she can't seem to master the task (or person) in front of her, she 's an oozing wound. She's torturously frustrated at the world, metaphorically shaking her tiny fists at the sky and vengefully kicking a scapegoated Barbie with a fierce pink Stride Rite.

Down deep in my mommy soul, I know it's because she's a leader and feels a natural, innate sense of competence. So, she's just exercising being "herself." I try to tell myself that we're raising a secure, confident child that feels free to express herself. Not a monsterous, self-indulgent brat. And her "failures" are so upsetting because she has such high (albeit unnecessary) standards for herself.

But, in a daily existence, it's maddening because almost every encounter with her ends up in tears. Most of the time, her. But sometimes, me. But one of ends up in an emotional puddle.

Her Fitzgerald-eque ways reminded me of a character from my past. Don Music...the guy on Sesame Street that used to bang his head on the piano out of frustration, crazy hair flying about.

As I empathetically watched this clip, I realized I am Kermit, patiently trying to talk Don (Cup) off the ledge, through the task, subtly sarcastic and borderline snarky, but getting the job done.

I dig Kermit's technique.

6 comments:

Bon said...

i love Kermit...and i think i got a little love on for Buttercup too. she's lucky to have a mama who is willing to see her leadership, her competence, her confidence...

she's beautiful.

brooke said...

gorgeous girl with the air of a toddler. does she work the parental/grandparent system? T will go whining to his mimi when he doesn't get the result he wants from the rest of us. :)

The Devil's Dance Floor said...

I think the brilliance of Don Music is that, anyone who has ever lived with a toddler can tell you that the character is not over exaggerated in the least- and knows exactly how Kermit is feeling.

Sounds like Cup is a lucky little drama queen to have a very understanding mama. :-)

Chichiboulie said...

sorry... i've been made to tag you!

http://www.boulieblog.com/

Chichiboulie said...

Oh I feel for you about the knowing it all. Unfortunately it doesn't always get better with age. Hang on for the ride!

The Devil's Dance Floor said...

I'm tagging you as well.